Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Favorite Websites

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

ABCMouse

Hi all. I hope I have this in the right forum. I was wondering if any one here has tried the ABC Mouse website? If so what is your opinion? (is it worth paying for?) Is there something just as good with out a subscription?

This would not replace my working with dd (4) it would just be something fun to help keep her busy while brother is doing school.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't know what the cost is, but from the commercials it looks just like Time 4 Learning. My boys adored T4L when they were younger and you can try it for a month for free. I'd compare the prices.

Also, Starfall is free. That covers pre-reading/reading basics.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We love ABCmouse! We had been using the free non-members portion for the last year or so and now have the paid membership. We are using it as the basis of her learning but I incorporate "extra" hands-on activities and other things.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM

We've been using abcmouse for about 4 months (around 30 minutes every other day) and like it. Since we started using it, he wakes up singing his alphabet with words they each start with and other things. They recently changed it a little and he hasn't been into the lessons as much. But he loves our computer time together, the books, farm (though they only have four animals.), and zoo.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

My son is 4 and has been expressing a huge interest in using the computer. Last week, my husband opened up some preschool games on the Nick JR. website for him. He loved playing online, but ended up really messing up our computer. LOL we had to run a recovery to fix it.

I have been considering ABCmouse. Is it something that I have to sit with him and help him do or is it something he can be doing independently while I am working with my older daughter?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM

We haven't tried ABCmouse, but we love Starfall. it is a free website and two of my children have learned how to read playing games on it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM

We have also used Starfall and enjoyed it. Check out abcya.com too
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My youngest LOVES abcmouse!! I think it was totally worth the cost.