Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Wedding Shower Ideas

OK ladies, have you been to any wedding showers lately? We have a young lady (30yrs old) in our church getting married and I need any original, special, neat, memorable ideas you have, anything from games to asking guest to share. So, please bring on the ideas. TIA
DS 7 yrs. ~ 2nd
DS 5 yrs. ~ Kinder.
DC ~ Waiting for me to come Home

Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Off the top of my head, the first one that I thought of involves recipes.

Mail out recipe cards in the invites (I suppose you could have the cards at the shower as well, but at least let the guests know to come prepared) and ask guests to write out one of their favorite, tried and true, recipes. Make sure guests sign their name in some way or even include a short bit of advice or story about the recipe.

Have something (a recipe book or box) to gather the cards in and present it to the bride to be during the gift opening or at the end of the shower. It's a super special gift that will mean quite a bit to the bride, particularly if the attendees are extra special women in her life.

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

A tradition in my previous church involved a devotion given by a particularly wise and special lady to the bride. This wasn't the time to choose the bride's best friend, though that would probably be just as sweet. However, the woman chosen was always a woman held in high regard in the women's ministry, but also had a special connection with the bride. She would share a very specially written devotion that she had written / tailored to the bride and she would actually (usually) speak pretty much directly to the bride. So, though everyone was gathered around (this would be right before gifts), the shower guests were sort of "listening in" to a special moment between this wise lady and new bride. It was such an incredibly neat and special time.

(um, can I use the word "special" any more in that paragraph?! )

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Kelly,

Both of those are great ideas. Thanks. We are going to ask her mom is she will give a devo. We are also going to ask our Youth Pastor's wife to give a devo. Shortly after our YP and his wife got married they moved states away from their families to join our church as Youth Pastor and wife. The bride will be moving states away from her family to join her husband in the ministery, so we thought that would be special too.

Keep the ideas coming.
DS 7 yrs. ~ 2nd
DS 5 yrs. ~ Kinder.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 AM

We just recently did a shower for my sister where we switched up the clothes pin game a little. We got a big box of clothes (anything will work, scarfs, gloves, gowns, hats, pants, shirts, bras, etc.) and told everyone that if they said any of three words during the gift opening (our's were her name and the words, cute and pretty) they had to put something on from out of the box. It was a total blast! We had a group picture afterwards and my sister said it was the perfect game.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I would include index cards with the invitations allowing ladies to share their favorite marriage/housekeeping/cooking tips.

If you want to you could throw this party with some demonstrations involved. Get an experienced cook to demonstrate how to make a pie from scratch or how to make biscuits or something like that. Maybe a skill like embroidery, sewing buttons or hemming if many people in the group don't know how to do that.

http://www.tnhuntingclub.com/forums/blogs/fairfarmhand/

Homeschooling for ten (TEN!!!!????) years. Four kids, ages 15, 10, 7 and 5.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have participated in both the recipe and advice ideas. The recipes were nice because the people who threw the shower bought the recipe box and cards that the bride had registered for. It was so nice for her to start out with the best recipes from her friends and family.

I have also participated in a game where each guest got a piece of paper to write a bit of marriage advice for the bride. The bride then read the advice on the card out loud and had to guess who gave her the advice. It was full of whit and wisdom!

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Planning a wedding shower for my sister also and keeping an eye on this thread!
My Faith and Family Blog, TOS Crew
MISS BIG FAT BOSSY HEAD!
Eng: Rod & Staff, English From the Roots Up, ETC, FLL
Math: Math-U-See Reading: BIP Illuminations
Bible: Christian Liberty Press, Vos storybook
History: Mystery of History Science: SOS, cub scouts
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for all the ideas ladies! I'll start an other thread with me next question!
DS 7 yrs. ~ 2nd
DS 5 yrs. ~ Kinder.