Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling in the News

Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

This is just my 2 cents, but I think we are missing something here that is screaming to me.
If this had been done to a teenager or adult, it would constitute attempted rape. I know this for a fact due to family experience. The fact that this poor child's tights were torn and she had bruising would have been enough to charge Vlad with attempted rape if he were old enough to charge. Regardless of age, this little girl is experiencing physical and psychological effects of being a victim of attempted rape. In this case, being a victim is not the fault of the little girl!!! But denying the fact the she was a victim isn't helping her AT ALL.
She is being let down by her teacher who didn't see anything and stupidly put her in the position of being hurt again by letting her walk unaccompanied with her attacker. She is being let down by her mom who is blogging instead of being the kind of mom she should be and helping her daughter heal. And she is being let down by dad who isn't stepping up to the plate and saying, "Not my daughter or anyone else's ever again!"
No one is paying attention to the fact that this little girl has suffered the entire school year from psychological symptoms of a sexual assault. It doesn't matter that she is completely innocent, for her mental health's sake she needed out of that situation one way or another. And she needs counseling now.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Marty,

I completely agree with you. This is why I'm angry with the parents as well. I don't mind that she is spending time blogging about it, because it is helping stir the hornet's nest is this mess, but I see it falling apart at the point when she and her husband allowed Gabby to go back into that classroom with a "promise" that Gabby and Vlad would never have any contact. That is completely unreasonable and unfeasible in a kindergarten classroom and should've never been accepted as such. I know what my dad would've done and what most fathers/men I know would've done to protect the little girls in their lives and I cannot fathom that this father hasn't done more or at the least refused allowing his little girl anywhere near Vlad ever ever again.

I feel terrible for Vlad, because there is something so terribly wrong in this little boy's life that he even borders on these types of actions, but that doesn't mean Gabby should be suffering in the way she is, either. Her parents do have the power and right to help her heal. You are right, Marty, her emotional and physical manifestations are screaming sexual assault victim. Because, bottom line, that is what happened to her and it is inexcusable to use her as a martyr by leaving her in the situation just to hold the public school's feet to the fire.

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Looks like Gabby will be homeschooled. At least through the end of this school year, as they have pulled her from the elementary school.

http://www.iambarkingmad.com/spotted...erything-.html

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkel View Post
Looks like Gabby will be homeschooled. At least through the end of this school year, as they have pulled her from the elementary school.

http://www.iambarkingmad.com/spotted...erything-.html
That's great news. Hopefully it goes so well for them that they keep her home until either her family or the boys family naturally move out of the area.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

But that doesn't solve anything!!! First of all, I DO BELIEVE they needed to pull her at this time. ABSOLUTELY!!! I doubt I would have kept her in this long myself, but that's beside the point.

HOWEVER, this girl HAS THE RIGHT TO ATTEND A PUBLIC SCHOOL, and the school personel HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP HER RELATIVELY SAFE THERE. They have failed in their responsibility, not only to her, but to the other students and to the boy. Neither the boy nor the school is being held accountable. And to me, that is totally NOT acceptable. I really believes she needs to sue the school. Both dh and I feel that's the ONLY language the school understands. Now that she's gone (and, as I said before, I DO feel they're right in pulling her!), the school can just pretty much pretend the situation never happened.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I agree, Jackie. On all of your points.

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Totally agree, Jackie (and Marty and Kelly!!) Now that the parents have pulled her out, the school will be totally unaccountable for the whole situation.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I can't believe I read it all and my computer is still in tact!!! Vlad is sure lucky I'm not Gaby's mother....he'd not be breathing right now, and I'd be in jail!

Serial killer in the making. Hoping someone intervenes soon.

Praying for poor Gaby & her family, how unbelievably awful it is for her!!!

We do live in a messed up world. Come, Lord Jesus, Come!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was talking to DH about this and his first question was "where were the police in all this?"

It was a sexual assault - and who is to say this hasn't happened before with another girl in the neighborhood or something like that?

My husband's point was that the 10-30 minutes of embarrassment/uncomfortable moments could have relieved a lot of the extra months of stress on the girl and counselling could have started.

He also agreed with me when I said my child would never step foot in that school again - period.

It was kinda interesting hearing how irritated DH was with this and I only gave him the basics of the article.
DD17, DS15, DD13: I think they are doing schoolwork - at least I HOPE they are but I'm not always 100% sure of WHAT it is....
DFD6 - Kindergarten
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

FYI, I heard something totally unrelated to this incident the other day. Had to do with not charging children under the age of ten....

www.freewebs.com/sprite59